A new story writing competition is giving Year 5 children aged 9-10 the chance to become published authors. But you’ve got to be quick because the closing date is 14th August.
Children’s author and CBBC star Ciaran Murtagh and illustrator Lee Cosgrove have created characters and written the first chapter, and are now handing over the rest of the book to the UK’s children. More help and inspiration, including character descriptions, the first chapter and story writing tips are available on the website.
Ciaran explains more here:
Children have been asked to write a chapter on a chosen energy subject for their region and invent the adventures of 11-year-old twins Billy and Zoe Spark and their great, great, great grandfather Jeremiah through the world of energy. British Gas Generation Green and Ciaran also want to hear children’s best ideas about energy in the future to include in the final chapter.
Some top tips from Ciaran Murtagh to help you craft a winning story
1. Before you begin, look at photos of what you’re going to write about and list as many descriptive words about each place as possible. This will inspire you and make your writing really exciting!
2. Always remember your reader – include action and adventure, but ensure the story makes sense from start to finish so the reader knows exactly what’s going on
3. If you get writer’s block, get a scrapbook out and start jotting down anything you can think of about the story – you’ll be amazed at the inspiration you get!
Once complete, The Powerful Story will be turned into an interactive exhibition at Eureka! The National Children’s Museum, in Halifax, West Yorkshire. The exhibition will run from 25th October-1st November 2013 and will be free to visit.
For more information about The Powerful Story competition or to enter, visit www.generationgreen.co.uk/powerfulstory.
· Four winning entries will be selected in each region to be included in the finished book.
· Every child and teacher in a winning class or individual entrant will receive a free copy of the finished book
· One champion entrant in each region will receive a special visit from Ciaran
· The book will be turned into an exhibition at Eureka! The National Children’s Museum in Halifax from the 25th October to the 1st November 2013
How to enter
· Each submission can be up to 1,500 words for the chapter you’ve been allocated and a further 500 word contribution to Chapter 13, the final chapter. Alternatively you can send up to 3 images to illustrate your chapter. These can be collages, photographs or paintings
· Email firstname.lastname@example.org Please attach your text as a Word or PDF document, and images in a jpeg format. Please note that images must be 200-300 dpi
· Send your entry in the post, addressed to Generation Green, Blue Rubicon, 6 More London Place, London, SE1 2DA
· The closing date for the competition is Wednesday 14th August 2013 at 6pm